ICA November 2021 Report
The IC of Argentina held its Annual General Meeting and yearly Dinner on 23 November, 2021, at the Tenis Club Argentino, in Buenos Aires. It was a pleasant encounter, attended by 51 people, characterized by the usual IC spirit of camaraderie.
The governing board reported on activities developed throughout 2021:
- Honorary Secretary Luis Medus and First Vicepresident (also Council Honorary Secretary) Gustavo Herrero attended the IC AGM held on Zoom on July 4, 2021.
- The IC Council approved the organization of an IC event in 2023 in Argentina, celebrating our IC ´s 75th Anniversary. The event will consist of two trophies: the Juego de Pelota Trophy and a new trophy for mature women, newly approved by the Council (for Ladies +65 and +70).
- The Council invited the IC of Argentina, as the first host, to propose a name for the new trophy for mature women, in agreement with the South American Regional Representative, Philippe Pinet.
- The program for children with learning disabilities sponsored by our IC with support from ICP, in association with Fundacion Baccigalupo restarted its activities, as the effect of the pandemic allowed it. Appreciation was expressed for the contribution made by Cencosud (regional supermarket chain), with Diego Marcantonio, Country Manager, and his wife, present at the Dinner.
- The Finals of the IC Rod Laver Junior Challenge scheduled to take place in San Diego, CA, were regretfully canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our team had won the South American Qualifying Round in Sao Paulo, Brazil, in August 2019, and had gained a spot in the Finals. Our team was composed of Serena Pereyra, Solana Sierra, Manuel Mouilleron and Francisco Pini, captained by Second Vicepresident Thomas Stalhandske. We invited the team to join our Dinner, but three of the players were competing abroad. Serena Pereyra attended the Dinner with her father, and we delivered to her the medal that was produced by the Council, in recognition of the teams having reached the Finals. We expect to give the medals to the rest of the team when the Council organizes a Zoom call, hopefully with Rod in attendance.
- A report on upcoming events was addressed, with special emphasis on the IC of Uruguay´s 40th Anniversary celebration in March 2022 (followed by bilateral visits to Argentina and Brazil in early April), the USIC´s IC Week celebrating their 90th Anniversary in August 2022, and the IC of GB´s Centennial IC Week in August 2024.
- Following the submission of accounts for the year by the Honorary Treasurer, the election of members of the governing board took place. The composition of the new board is reported separately.
- Finally, four new members were inducted at the Dinner, closing the evening.